I was having a conversation with a dear friend of mine who’s mother had to have a tumor removed along with radiation therapy.
She expressed how she was torn with her mother’s decision and feared that since her mother was already in her 70’s that the radiation may make her weaker.
Her mother comes from the perspective where she puts 100% faith into the hands of her doctor. She doesn’t doubt their opinions or advice and that what they say is the best way.
I’m a firm believer of conventional, western medicine. I also come from a background of holistic wellness, alternative therapies, and eastern medicines, as does my friend.I know there’s a time and place for both and that not one is better over the other. I’ve seen them both work miracles in my life and in the lives of others close to me.
As I listened to her lament over her mother’s situation, she asked me, “How do we support someone on a different path of healing?”
Aaaaah such a big question! And what intuitively came out of me, I had to write down and share with you too. How we can support someone on a different path of healing is that we amplify their current decision and see that it is the optimal path for them. While at the same time, holding space for an opening or outcome in which they may decide to explore a path of healing that is ALSO right for them.
Here’s the thing. There is NEVER one path to healing. NEVER.
But there is a path that is authentic for an individual given the state of consciousness in which they are in, what they know is true, and what they believe will work for their situation.
The last thing we want to do is judge them for their choices. When someone is experiencing a challenge or difficulty in their life, adding unnecessary pressure isn’t helpful.
It’s a dance of offering, with permission of course, to share some ideas that could potentially be helpful, while honoring their truth.
This is as simple as…
- May I share some insights or practices that I think might be helpful?
- I know someone who has helped others through this, would you like to learn more about what they do?
- I read a book a while back on healing xyz, if you’d like to know more about it, I’d be happy to loan you the book or share the name of it.
- Would you be open to receiving a second opinion on this? It doesn’t hurt to see what other professionals have to say. I’d be more than happy to do some research and find some people who you think may be a good fit.
When their truth or path differs from ours, then we ground into the amplification that their knowing, belief, and path of healing supersedes ALL and IS working miraculously in their favor. We summon the light of Spirit for them and with them knowing there isn’t just one way or our way.
We may also honor their path by sharing with them…
- I see you whole, healthy, and fully radiant. I know you have what it takes to make it through.
- I pray that your (insert path of healing) completely heals and uplifts you activating your wholeness and 100% full health.
- I am here for you. How can I best support you through this?
- What is it that you need from me in order to help you on your path?
May we all walk our path of wellness, healing, and purpose with compassion, acceptance, and grace.
Tell me, how have you supported someone on a different path than you? Leave a comment below, I’d love to hear your experiences.